Fire Extinguisher Services and Maintenance
Do You Need To Replace Your Fire Extinguishers?
- Fire Extinguisher Servicing of all types of fire extinguishers
- We Service Fire Extinguishers for Insurance
- Specialize In Narrowboat Fire Extinguishers
- Install Fire Extinguishers
- We can Recharge Fire Extinguishers
- Replace Fire Extinguishers where possible
- We Sell Fire Extinguishers
- We will position your fire extinguishers in the correct place
How Much Do We Charge for Fire Extinguisher Servicing?
- We charge £65 to service up to 5 Extinguisher and 5 fire blankets
- £15 per additional Extinguisher
- £3 per extra fire blanket
- £30 for extended services (Discharge Test and refill)
- We charge £40 for new field refillable water units
- We will return every year for your service
The Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) Minimum Number of Fire ExtinguishersThe Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) Minimum Number of Fire Extinguishers is directly proportional to the size of the boat. Narrowboats which have all of the potential hazards such as Fuel, Electricity, LPG Gas, Cooking, Heating and Lighting appliances require the following number of fire extinguishers...
|BOAT LENGTH (M)||MIN. NUMBER OF EXTINGUISHERS||MIN. FIRE RATING OF EACH EXTINGUISHER||MIN. COMBINED FIRE RATING EXTINGUISHERS|
|Up to 7 (M)||2||5A/34B||10A/68B|
|7 to 11 (M)||2||5A/34B||
|Over 11 (M)||3||5A/34B||21A/144B|
What is a competent person?
- An engineer Qualified to BS EN3 and BS5306 Standards
- Experience of fire Safety and Fire Risk assessments
- Fully Insured to carry out your work
- Has the correct tools
What type of Fire Extinguisher Servicing do we do?
There are four types of service that are carried out under the British standard BS5306 parts 3, 8 and 9.
- Installation: (Commissioning new Extinguishers in the correct place)
- Service: (Every Year) checking the extinguishers work and is free from damage or obstructions and tamper seals are in place.
- Extended Service: Involves testing the internal workings of the extinguisher and test firing it. Then re-filling where possible or replacing every 5 years
- Overhaul: (Every 10 years) for all are types.
We Teach you to Use Extinguishers
Not sure how to use the Extinguishers? We can teach you how to use them safely.
We specialize in knowing the requirements under the Boat Safety Scheme for portable fire extinguishers on Private and Hire-boats.
Under the BSS Boat Safety Scheme all fire extinguishers need to be in good working order and have been serviced at least annually by a qualified trained service engineer. Failure to comply with the recommendations could result in loss of BSS certification and or loss of insurance cover.
Do you know how many extinguishers and of what fire rating you require? Contact us below and we can advise.
Areas we cover include Nottingham, Arnold, Woodthorpe, Mapperley, Daybrook, Nottinghamshire, Burton Joyce, Gedling, Market Bosworth, Leicestershire, Aspley and the East Midlands.
The Law surrounding Extinguishers is Complex Get in Touch
Request a Quote
We carry out Fire Extinguisher Services and Maintenance for the Boat Safety Scheme and we specialize in Fire extinguisher Extended service and Overhaul for boats. If you need an engineer please feel free to contact us here… fire-extinguisher-servicing.com
BS7863:1996-Fire Extinguisher Colour Code
|Colour||Type (Medium)||Class of fire it is safe to use on||Do Not Use On
|Red||Water||Class A: Flammable Solids||Flammable Liquid Fires
|Cream||Foam||Class A and B: Flammable Solids and Flammable Liquids||Flammable Metal Fires
|Blue||Dry Powder||Class A and B and C: Flammable Solids, Flammable Liquids and Gas (WHERE THERE IS NO EXPLOSION RISK)||Hot Cooking Oil Fires
|Black||CO2||Class B: Flammable liquid fires and Live Electrical Fires||Flammable Solid Fires
|Yellow||Wet Chemical||Class F: Rated for use on Hot Oil or Fats||Flammable Gas
We service fire extinguishers for Narrowboats and we specialize in the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS). For Narrowboat holidays in the Midlands please visit MidlandMallard.com
Where should I Position Fire Extinguishers?
Fire extinguishers should be positioned near to room exits, in corridors, on stairways, lobbies and landings. They should be in similar positions on each floor. If the fire extinguishers are on a boat they should be positioned near to the point where there is either a fuel supply, electricity or gas outlet within the boat itself.
Exceptions to the rule are if there are fuel tanks situated externally on a boat or in an external building, extinguishers should then be situated outside and near to the entrance of the hazard.
How far away should I place fire extinguishers?
The maximum permitted distance that a person should have to travel from the position or site of each class of fire is as follows…
- Class-A: 30 Metres (From flammable solids)
- Class-B: 10 Metres (From flammable liquids)
- Class-C: 30 Metres (From flammable gas)
- Class-D: On an individual basis (From flammable Metals)
- Class-F: 10 Metres (From Burning Oils and Fats)
Copyright fire-extinguisher-servicing – All rights reserved